Need a new roof, but aren’t sure about what roofing company to hire?
Here is a checklist to use when choosing a roofing contractor.
- Ask how long the company has been in business. After a few years they have usually established their business practices and have a good understanding of the roofing systems.
- Be sure the contractor has a permanent place of business. A business phone, tax ID and, if applicable, documents that they are licensed and bonded.
- Make sure the roofing contractor has adequate insurance coverage. Protect your home from accidental damage.
- Did the roofing contractor thoroughly inspect your roof? Including deck, attic, flashing, chimney, soil stacks and other roof penetrations? A thorough inspection is important so that there are not unexpected charges later on in the job.
- Did the roofing contractor provide a written estimate? Including an accurate description of the work to be performed, plus work that may have to be contracted out. Document when the project will start and when it is estimated to be completed, also when payments will be made. Make sure the warranty is clear and you understand what voids it.
- Don’t pay until job complete. Although you may be required to pay a small deposit, this amount should typically not exceed 25% of the full price for the job, or the base cost for materials only. You should never be required to pay for the labor in advance. Always inspect the work once it is complete and get a copy of all the necessary paperwork before paying the contractor.
- Did the roofing contractor explain the entire roof system? Your roof is a series of components that work together and you should know about all of them.
- Did the roofing contractor check existing ventilation for proper circulation and also explain the importance of proper ventilation? Improper ventilation will damage your shingles and can invalidate your manufacturer’s warranty.
- Did the roofing contractor know, explain and plan to comply with local building codes? Local codes determine the maximum number of nail overs and nail overs may shorten the life of your new shingles.
- Will the roofing contractor apply underlayment to the wood deck? Additional waterproofing underlayment might be needed if ice damming, wind-driven rain or collected flowing water might be a problem.
- Will the roofing contractor apply shingles according to manufacturer’s specifications?
- Will the roofing contractor use proper fastening techniques? Four fastenings are required for most shingles — six in high-wind areas. Fasteners should penetrate ¾” into the deck.
- Will the roofing contractor commit to supervising the job during all phases of the work and inspect it thoroughly when finished?
- Will the roofing contractor thoroughly clean up your roof and around your house when finished? Will they remove all surplus materials? Will they leave your yard in the same shape they found it?
- Did the roofing contractor explain both the workmanship and manufacturer’s warranty? Are defective shingles replaced for prorated replacement cost, or original cost, with labor charged additional? You should be very clear about who to call with a problem.
- Did the roofing contractor offer additional warranty coverage?
- Did the roofing contractor use quality roofing materials? Check the product warranty plus UL fire and wind-resistance ratings.
Choose a name you trust — not all roofers or shingles are the same.
Give us a call today at 443-449-5273 or click here to get a FREE Estimate
Cox Roofing is a full-service, certified roofing contractor providing residential and commercial roofing services of the residents of the state of Maryland, with particular focus on Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Harford County and Howard County. We pride ourselves on our personalized service which transforms your property into the residence or business of your dreams. Get in touch for your free estimate today.
Get your free estimate!