There’s nothing like the security of a solid roof over your head. But, whether from storms or normal wear and tear, the roof on your home may become damaged and need repair. There are several decisions to be made before selecting a contractor and opting for a roof replacement.
Partial Versus Full Roof Replacement
The first decision is whether to do a partial repair or a full replacement. If your roof’s damage is limited to small areas and it is fairly new, repairing the existing roof may be possible. If the damage is extensive or the roof is near the end of its life, then it may be time for a complete roof replacement.
Types of Roofing
There are plenty of options for home roof replacement. Here are the most common:
- Composite shingle. Still the most popular type of roofing, the traditional shingle comes in a variety of colors to enhance your home’s appearance. Reasonably durable and fairly low cost, the shingle remains a viable choice for many homeowners.
- Metal. Standing seam metal roofing has become common in recent years due to its durability and energy savings. It does change the appearance of your home, so be ready to adapt to a new look.
- Wood shingles. Still popular and durable, the flat wood shingle will require steady monitoring and maintenance over the years.
- Wood shakes. An upgraded version of the wood shingle, shakes are thicker, more durable and longer lasting. They do require ongoing cleaning and maintenance and give your home a unique appearance.
- Slate. These solid slabs of rock are both aesthetic and durable, lasting longer than most other materials for roof replacement. They are heavy and require sufficient frame support for the long term.
Remove or Overlay
To cut costs, a new layer of roofing can be installed directly on top of the previous install, adding a solid new layer of protection. However, by not stripping it down, you can’t determine the condition of the underlying sheathing to see if future damage exists.
When selecting a contractor, be sure to choose a professionals with a proven track record. For a roofing company in Abingdon, Maryland, contact Cox Roofing, a reliable company serving the community for over 30 years.